FC Helsingør announced today that forward Elijah Just has received a call up to the New Zealand Men’s National Team ahead of a pair of international friendlies against Ireland (14 November) and Lithuania (17 November).
Just will join the All Whites manager Danny Hay and his group of 24 players in European-based away matches with a team mixed with first-time call-ups like Just and veteran leadership. The 19-year-old forward is one of seven total players to potentially receive their first senior level caps.
“I think we’re developing a different type of player now – one who is more technical and tactically aware – so that in itself is exciting and I think the squad is reflective of that,” Hay said on Monday.
Just finished the summer’s Under-20 World Cup with three appearances and a goal (vs. Colombia, Round of 16).
“The U-20s did very well under Des (Buckingham) at the World Cup and I’ve spoken at length with him about the make-up of this squad,” Hay said. “He gave me some good opinions about the players he felt did particularly well in that World Cup campaign, as well as the U-23 Olympic qualifiers.
“We have to look to 2022 and beyond so if we can put those players alongside some of the more experienced ones, then it’s going to look very bright.”
For FCH this season, Just has scored against FA 2000 on 10 August.
FC Helsingør will play its final match before the winter break on Sunday, 10 November, at Avarta. FCH currently sits eight points clear at the top of the 2.Division with 38 points (12-2-1, +37 goal differential).
All Whites squad for international friendlies (club, caps/goals)
- Stefan Marinovic (Wellington Phoenix, 24/0)
- Michael Woud (Willem II, Netherlands, 1/0)
- Michael Boxall (Minnesota United, USA, 32/0)
- Liberato Cacace (Wellington Phoenix, 2/0)
- Louis Fenton (Wellington Phoenix, 7/0)
- James McGarry (Willem II, Netherlands, 0/0)
- Nando Pijnaker (Torslanda IK, Sweden, 0/0)
- Winston Reid (West Ham United, England, 24/1)
- Storm Roux (Melbourne Victory, Australia, 9/0)
- Tommy Smith (Colorado Rapids, USA, 36/2)
- Bill Tuiloma (Portland Timbers, USA, 24/0)
- Joe Bell (University of Virginia, USA, 0/0)
- Michael McGlinchey (Central Coast Mariners, Australia, 53/5)
- Matt Ridenton (Newcastle Jets, Australia, 5/0)
- Alex Rufer (Wellington Phoenix, 6/0)
- Sarpreet Singh (Bayern Munich, Germany, 4/1)
- Ryan Thomas (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands, 18/3)
- Elliot Collier (Chicago Fire (on loan to Memphis 901), 0/0)
- Andre de Jong (Amazulu, South Africa, 2/1)
- Elijah Just (Helsingør, Denmark, 0/0)
- Max Mata (Grasshopper Club Zürich, Switzerland (on loan to Nõmme Kalju,
- Estonia), 0/0)
- Callum McCowatt (Wellington Phoenix, 0/0)
- Marco Rojas (SønderjyskE, Denmark, 41/5)
- Chris Wood (Burnley, England, 56/24)
vs Republic of Ireland
Thursday 14 November, 8.45 p.m. (CET)
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Sunday 17 November, 1 p.m. (CET)
Lithuania National Stadium, Vilnius